Describe Image is a very important part in the speaking section of PTE Academic.
What is all about
In Describe Image section you will have 25 second to read and analyse the graph/picture/map/life cycle/process. After understanding the given image you will have to speak about it for 40 seconds.
Tips for Describe Image
- Two very important things to be taken care of is to speak fluently and with right pronunciation.
- Time allotted is 40 seconds.
- Speak clearly and concisely.
- Firstly introduce the graph type/picture or the Image type. Paraphrase the topic of the graph.
- Secondly explain about the horizontal & vertical axis or the parts of the graph or the contents of the picture or the product or life cycle.
- Thirdly clarify about the most striking feature of the graph/picture. Point out about the highest/lowest/general trend/noticeable trend/main features.
- Lastly conclude.
- Be sure to wrap up the speech in the stipulated time.
- Try not to repeat he words again & again.
- Do not try to explain the minute minute details.
- Keep on speaking the full time and conclude before the recording bar ends
- Practise with different images.
- Identify trends. A trend is the overall idea of the graph
- what is happening/what happened
- the main change over time
- the most noticeable thing about the graph
- the pattern over time
- the pattern for different places or groups or people.
Words to be used in describing images
- For Starting – The given(Chart,graph, table) shows/illustrates/describes/gives information on/ about…….. According to the, as shown in, as can be seen from the, it can be seen, it is clear/apparent/evident. Shows , depicts , illustrates , represents , elucidates , throws light on, portray, represents, introduce, represent, interpret.
- Maximum – Highest, acme, zenith, summit, topmost, peak, pinnacle, greatest, top, apex. For e.g The sales soared to its acme/peak/zenith/summit/pinnacle during this period.
- Minimum – Smallest, tiniest, bottomed, low point, least, modicum , merest , slightest. For e.g the foreign tourists visit was at a low point in the year 2001.
- Average – stable, constant, moderate, mediocre, intermediate, medium, adequate.
- Increasing – rise, jump, growth, booming , enlarging , up surging , acceleration, upswing, soar, swell.
- Decreasing – decline, fall, low point, the bottom, nadir, base, sink diminish, curb, deteriorate.
- Fluctuating- Flutter, oscillate, rise & fall, go up & down, ebb & flow, see saw.
- Peak – highest point, topped, pinnacle, tip.
- Ground level – lowest point, nadir, base, bottom
- Adverbs to be used -(with Increasing) Suddenly, rose dramatically, shot up significantly, climbed up steeply, went up sharply, swelled rapidly, jumped up quickly, smoothly
- Adverbs to be used – (with Decreasing) continually, dropped gradually, fell suddenly, went down slowly/slightly/steadily.
- Prepositions: from/between 1990 to/and 2010
Movements up: increased, rose, grew, went up
Movements down: decreased, declined, dropped, went down
Adjectives: slight, gradual, sharp, sudden, steady
Adverbs: slightly, gradually, sharply, suddenly, steadily
No movement: remained steady/stable, was unchanged, stabilized.
All the Best.